Established in 1910, the Ukrainian Voice was initially established as a vehicle for enlightment and to allow this to spread to school districts where there were no Ukrainian teachers. The paper was fully dedicated to the interests of Ukrainian settlers. The decision to publish such a paper was made at the Ukrainian teachers' convention in 1908. The publishing company, founded on shares sold to only Ukrainians, was founded in 1909 and the first edition of the Ukrainian Voice printed in 1910.
Since its beginning the Ukrainian Voice has been highly valued source of information for the Ukrainian immigrant families. Later the paper became a mechanism for helping organize the Ukrainian community and in particular the Ukrainian Orthodox community. The paper became an invaluable in informing its readership on political, social, religious and other matters.
The Ukrainian Voice helped reawaken the national consciousness of the Ukrainian Canadian community and also provided leadership and encouragement for them to participate fully in Canadian politics and to take full advantage of the educational opportunities. It reached out to all corners of Canada wherever Ukrainians lived and taught them a better way of life, both as Ukrainians and as Canadians.*
The Ukrainian Voice is currently owned by the Ukrainian Self-Reliance League of Canada.
* the above was extracted from a booklet by W. Burianyk, 'SUS its Meaning and Significance'.